June 01, 2016
Tampa Bay/Hudson, Florida (June 1, 2016) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point honors David Kokoruz, RN, as Nurse of the Year and Michael Wall, MD, as Physician of the Year. Mr. Kokoruz and Dr. Wall were both recognized at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s First Annual Nursing Gala held on May 19 at the Palace Grand. The event was designed to recognize the significant accomplishments of the hospital’s nurses and physicians. Both Mr. Kokoruz and Dr. Wall were chosen for their dedication to providing high quality, compassionate patient care.
About David Kokoruz, RN
David Kokoruz, RN, is the night Charge Nurse on "Three North." He was honored for his ability to keep his fingers on the pulse of the unit. Nomination comments included, "He keeps Three North running smoothly and efficiently. He is a leader and always keeps a positive outlook on the unit and he is a major contributor to building teamwork and camaraderie."
About Michael Wall, MD
This year when the announcement was made that there would be a Physician of the Year, nominations poured in for Dr. Michael Wall, a thoracic and cardiothoracic surgeon. Each nomination emphasized his compassion, caring, and confidence in treating his patients and in supporting the staff with whom he works. To quote some of the nominations:
- He sacrifices his time even when he is off duty to see that his patients are progressing.
- Always includes the bedside nurse in his plans for the patient.
- He treats all patients the same even when he is covering for another physician and the patient is not his own.
- He goes out of his way to make nurses feel that they are an important part of the team.
- He is always dependable even when things get tough for us he is there.
- His compassion and caring is obvious to everyone.
- He is regarded as not only caring, but a good listener and open-minded to the suggestions of all members of his team.
Lori Spight, the newly appointed Chief Nursing Officer at RMCBP, in her closing remarks stated, "I feel so fortunate to have arrived here in time to participate and preside over this award ceremony…especially after meeting both David and Dr. Wall…and knowing that they exemplify the caliber and quality that is Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s dedication to this community."
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 1,264 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care - The Joint Commission
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center - Joint Commission
- 2014 and 2015 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, VTE and stroke - The Joint Commission
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited - American College of Radiology
- Approved Community Cancer Program - American College of Surgeons
- 5 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass graft, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee
- Awarded Hospital Safety Score of "A" in SIX consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group
- Recipient of the 2014 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With TheGuidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in stroke
- Awarded full Atrial Fibrillation Certification status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care(SCPC)
- Recipient of 2016 Blue Distinction® Center+ Designation for Quality and Cost-Efficiency in Cardiac Care