If you have any of the risk factors discussed, you can take steps to decrease the chance of developing a chronic, non-healing wound.
- See your health care provider promptly if you have an injury. Even skin tears can develop into chronic wounds.
- Notify your health care provider if your wound is not healing after one month of treatment.
- Keep pressure off the wounded area.
- Never use peroxide, bleach, iodine, or other products to clean your wound until discussing this with your healthcare provider.
- If you have diabetes, work at controlling your blood glucose level through diet, exercise and any prescribed medication. Abnormal glucose levels impair the healing process.
- If you have diabetes or vascular disease, know and practice proper foot care and always wear properly fitting shoes. If you have decreased sensation in your fee, you may be wearing shoes that are too tight and not know this.
To contact us, call (727) 869-5551 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or email us.